Tuesday, July 15, 2008

From the Books: On Parenting

As a dedicated reader I am committed to sharing the wealth of my aquired knowledge with you, my reading public. I will sporadically share a quote that sparked a thought for me in the hopes it will do so for you. So, without further crap, here is the 1st installment of From the Books.

"Parent's imaginations build frameworks out of their own hopes and regrets into which children seldom grow, but instead, contrary as trees, lean sideways out of the architecture, blown by a fatal wind their parents never envisaged." - Elizabeth Smart - "By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept"

Since I am becoming a parent myself in a short time I have been contemplating what it means to be a parent and how you can measure success. What does a successful parent accomplish? Do they mould children in their values? Are parents who have 'rebellious' children failures? I like this quote because as much as every parent wants to do the best and shield their child from the pains of life, you can't protect them from everything. I think a good parent doesn't shield their child (and thus cripple them) but rather makes sure they have the tools to deal with the disapointments that life inevitably brings.

And how to do that is a completely different and more complex matter...

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh Eric, I totally agree with you. As a parent the "second time around" (not sure if you know the story) I have changed my thinking a lot. For little Athena I want to do exactly as you say, "I think a good parent doesn't shield their child (and thus cripple them) but rather makes sure they have the tools to deal with the disapointments that life inevitably brings." Also, I want to expose her to the idea that all different faiths, or ways of thinking, are worth considering. I also want her to be accepting of other people, no matter what their religion or sexual expression or lifestyle is. This may be harder than I expect but it is a goal I hope to acheive with her. Just by knowing a bit of your family history, your great parents and by reading your blog, I think you will be a fantastic parent.

Jen said...

I too like that quote BUT it's so difficult to actually do that. You want your kids to be capable, wise and strong, of course, but you don't want to see their hearts and spirits get trampled in the meantime. Tough.

I second what my mom said. I think you and Nolana are going to be wonderful, wonderful parents. I mean that.